SERVICE TECHNICIAN – UTILITY
Waukegan Service Department
Manager – Tom Petersen
Basic Function: A journeyman technician defined to be a technician who can perform all necessary mechanical work and welding either at the Company shops or at a customer’s job site/location in a safe, efficient, capable, and professional manner. Equipment includes all products under 110 hp including but not limited to loader backhoes, skid steers, miniexcavations, small loaders, landscape equipment, trailers, rollers, air compressors, etc.
- Performs service tasks as they be assigned by the service manager or the shop superintendent.
- Keeps abreast of all changes in various models of equipment sold and serviced to the distributor.
- Reports each service call or repair job at the end of each shift, giving the following information:
(a) customer’s name
(b) make and model of unit
(d) hours worked
(e) travel time
(f) details of work performed, problems encountered, time required
(g) parts, equipment and supplies used.
- Reports, in complete detail, as above, regarding warranty situations handled.
- Keeps immediate shop area in which he works in a clean and orderly manner.
- Brings to the attention of the service manager/service writer any additional work required on a unit.
- Notifies service manager/branch manager if shop equipment or vehicle is not in a serviceable condition or constitutes a safety hazard.
- Returns special tools to proper location at the end of each shift in a clean and ready to use condition.
- Review parts and service bulletins pertaining to equipment technician is responsible for repairing.
- Conducts himself in the presence of customers in a manner which will retain a good opinion of the company and the service department.
- Takes advantage of all opportunities to attend schools and training sessions in order to upgrade technical competence.
- Performs other duties as prescribed by the service manager.
- Works in a safe manner at all times.
- Must be able to lift 90lbs, 75% of the time, in order to load and unload repair equipment.
- Must have knowledge of internal works of an engine and mechanical equipment knowledge pertaining to equipment being hired to work on.
- Must have excellent customer service, problem solving, and safety skills.
- Must hold valid driver’s license and be able to drive a pick-up truck and trailer.
- Must supply tools to work on equipment assigned to repair.